The journey of Chatelier all started when our founder learned about the world of self-care and never felt so comfortable in her own skin before
When founder Laura Kaats learned about the world of self-care, she started to treat herself with lots of love and care. She quit unhealthy habits and started becoming obsessed with being healthy. She started working out, eating healthy and removing toxic ingredients from her lifestyle. She would only use natural products in and on her body and never felt so comfortable in her own skin before.
While she was looking for a skincare brand that she could start using, she came across a study from 'Rank a Brand' - an independent European organization that ranks brands on how well they keep your health and the planet in mind. This study revealed that most well-known luxury skincare brands scored bad in terms of environment and health, animal welfare, climate and labour conditions.
She was shocked to learn that these well-known luxury brands were scoring so bad in these areas and thought this could be done much better. She decided to start a luxury skincare brand, that would score well in all the categories from the Rank a Brand study.
- She started using organically farmed ingredients as often as possible to stimulate healthy eco-systems, she started using only FSC-certified, recycled, and easily recyclable packaging materials, and limit the use of plastic for all the packaging, to score well in the category environment.
- She started using clean ingredients from natural origin, which have a highly-effective effect on skin health only to formulate the product, in order to score well in the category of health.
- She didn't use animal products or test on animals to score well in the category of animal welfare.
- She uses carbon neutral shipments as often as possible and started planting a tree in the Amazon rainforest for every sold product to score well in the category climate.
- And finally, she skipped ingredients that could potentially be harvested by children or in bad work environments to score well in the category of labor conditions.
Besides starting a luxury brand that would score well in these categories, she wanted to create the most effective and clean formulas as possible. During the formulation process she had a minimalistic approach and removed all unnecessary ingredients to make the formulas highly-efficient. She decided the formulas didn't need to be overly processed to remove their natural color and smell, which in term preserved lots of valuable vitamins and minerals.
Chatelier has been years in the making, as Laura wanted to create the most beautiful and effective skincare brand and took her time to search for the most beautiful and high-quality materials. Today, it is her mission is to make people feel great in their skin, by offering them beautiful and pure self-care products to create healthy skin while also caring for the environment, animals and our people.